Horchata RecipeCourse: Beverages, (Agua Fresca)Cuisine: MexicanDifficulty: Easy
Horchata ranks highly in my kitchen and around the world. This refreshing sweet creamy drink has won many hearts. As for me, I grew up enjoying this beverage because It was everywhere! At the local market, restaurants, taquerias and most importantly at a place I call home. There are so many variations and flavors, tents where actually set up to sell these fresh waters. Horchata continues to gain popularity and its refreshing qualities captivate new generations.
1 cup long grain, white rice
1 whole cinnamon stick
2 cups hot water + 4 cups room temperature water
1 (12 oz) can of evaporated milk
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup of whole milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (Mexican – preferred)
Cinnamon powder (dusting)
Ice (to serve)
Optional: Granulated white sugar- to taste (see notes)
- In a bowl place the rice and cinnamon stick. Cover with 2 cups of hot water. Cover and let it soak for at least 2-6 hrs or if possible, overnight for better results.
- When the soaking time is up, pour the rice, cinnamon stick and water into a blender. Process until everything breaks down completely and turns smooth.
- Strain the rice mixture into a container. (see note) Stir with a spoon to help the liquid pass through.
- In a pitcher, pour in strained rice mixture, evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, whole milk, 4 cups of room temperature water and vanilla extract. Stir to combined and make sure the condensed milk dissolves completely.
- Stir in granulated white sugar, to your taste, if desired. Refrigerate.
- To serve, fill a glass with ice, pour in the horchata. Then top with a touch of cinnamon powder and stir it in. Time to enjoy!!!
- If you want this horchata sweeter, simply add granulated sugar until you reach the desired sweetness.
- Typically long grain rice is used but jasmine rice also works well.
- I prefer not strain the rice mixture straight into the pitcher, in case something spills. Also, placing a cheesecloth over the strainer can help target smaller pieces of rice.
- If you add the ice to the pitcher, the drink will dilute as it sits. I prefer adding the ice to the glass for a long lasting taste.
- Pair this Horchata with Guacamole and Carne Asada
- Amazon links:
🌟PRODUCTS IN THIS VIDEO
(As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases)
Vitamix A3500 Smart blender Professional grade 64oz : https://amzn.to/2JMeSml
Nielsen-Massey Mexican pure vanilla extract 4 oz : https://amzn.to/3icARQs
Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Bean Paste, 4 oz : https://amzn.to/3ig5unX
Pyrex glass measuring cups set of 3 : https://amzn.to/3noFxEk
Johns Boos block cutting board care and maintenance set: https://amzn.to/3pDl00G
John Boos WALNUT wood cutting board 24in x 18in x 1.5in: https://amzn.to/36zJRJZ
Chef works apron Memphis: https://amzn.to/2DiVzxB
OXO wooden spoons: https://amzn.to/3ggykCO
OXO 6-inch fine mesh strainer: https://amzn.to/3h1pDNs