Agua de JamaicaJump to Recipe
“Flor de jamaica” is the Spanish translation for “hibiscus flower”. Agua de jamaica is one of the most popular refreshments sold in Mexico and are displayed beautifully, on both, the menu and display table. Hibiscus agua is refreshing and its tart, tangy flavors very similar to cranberry juice make it the perfect flower to make a refreshing drink. Try it and fall in love with all its characteristics because it is going to sweep you off your feet.
Mexico runs on agua fresca and tacos, they are the perfect combination. These icy refreshments are typically displayed in vitrolero containers and the ladle used to pour the water into a cup or bag hangs from the top rim, always handy.
Uses for plastic bags
When serving, plastic bags are a great option because it’s a cheaper option, in return: it has become a tradition over the years. When serving in a bag, the water is poured inside, a straw inserted and then secured by a knot. It’s such a neat way to purchase a refreshing drink and makes for a fun and delightful experience.
Hibiscus and packaging
This dehydrated flower can be found along the spice or tea isle hanging in a plastic bag. When you pick out the amount needed for the recipe, you will need to sort through them and remove any stems or debris found inside. Sifting the flowers is a great option because it will remove dust particles but sort through them to remove stems.
Can you wash them before use?
Rinse the petals needed for the recipe and stop as soon as they begin to release their color and drain.
Hibiscus does release a gorgeous red-violet color which is a great representation of its flavors, qualities and freshness. In addition, the color released can easily stain but keep calm because we just need to be cautious. In my experience, I’m more scared of missing out by not making this beverage than the staining part.
When it comes to taking this drink to the next level, adding the rehydrated petals makes for the perfect decoration. You can either add some to the glass in between the ice or into the pitcher. Feel free to discard any of the unused steeped hibiscus because they have served their job.
What does it taste like?
Agua de jamaica has tart, tangy flavors very similar to cranberry juice, in addition: you will feel refreshed with every sip you take. Besides all the natural values, adding a sweetener does balance the flavors and you have the option to add as much sugar as you like.
Pair agua fresca with
Feel free to check the video tutorial below the directions↓
If you enjoyed the video please SUBSCRIBE to my Youtube channel and don’t forget to click the bell icon so you get a notification every time we post a brand new video. Thank you!!
Hibiscus Agua FrescaCourse: BeveragesCuisine: MexicanDifficulty: Easy
Agua de Jamaica is refreshing and its tart, tangy flavors very similar to cranberry juice make it the perfect flower to make a refreshing drink. Try it and fall in love with all its characteristics because it is going to sweep you off your feet.
10 cups of water
1 cup sugar
1 cup dry hibiscus petals
- Sift the hibiscus to remove debris and lightly rinse just until some color is released and drain excess water.
- Bring the water to a boil over medium high heat.
- When boiling reduce to medium low heat and stir in the sugar until completely dissolved.
- Add in the hibiscus petals and allow it to simmer for roughly 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and allow the water to infuse in the flower until completely cooled.
- When no longer hot, go ahead and strain. Reserve some rehydrated flowers for decoration (you can discard the rest). Pour the agua fresca into your favorite pitcher and add more sugar if desired. Chill in the refrigerator.
- To serve, add ice to the glass with the hibiscus petals in between the cubes as decoration. Pour in the drink and enjoy!!!
- You can add the rehydrated flowers to the pitcher but know it is completely optional.
- I like to add the ice to the glass, as oppose to the pitcher because as the ice melts it will dilute the drink.
- For a sweeter drink feel free to stir in more sugar.
(As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases)
🛒 Feel free to visit Villa Cocina’s Amazon storefront where you can check out most of our tools or visit our shop page.