If you want to make an easy, yet flavorful meal, chicken fajitas is the way to go. This is such an easy 30 minute recipe with an amazing marinade and only a few steps to follow. It’s a very popular dish that everyone has most likely eaten at least once at a Mexican restaurant and now you can make it at home. Once your fajitas as done, you can serve by simply making some delicious tacos or turn it into an entree accompanied by a delicious Mexican rice and salad. Whatever your choice is, you are going to love it!
The bells peppers:
Fajitas is such an exciting recipe to make because its full of flavor and looks so good. Personally I like to use different colored bell peppers because it adds contrast and life to the meal. On a side note, you can also get creative and use a poblano pepper or even jalapeños. As you can tell, the options are endless and your creativity will flourish whiling cooking these chicken fajitas.
Bell pepper flavor profile
These chicken fajitas can be made with both the breast or thigh part of the poultry.
- The breast: area is lean and if cooked to the correct internal temperature of 165F degrees, it will be very juicy. Note: If using chicken breast, slice in half lengthwise to cut down on cooking time.
- The thighs: area is considered dark meat. This particular cut does have more fat than white meat and boast of more flavor and tenderness.
The cooking process of browning
Browning creates depth of flavor and changes the color of the meat to a “brown” color. When it comes to chicken, we want a nice golden brown color on the outside but allow it to cook completely.
Tips when browning
- Pull the chicken out of the refrigerator 15 minutes before cooking so it can warm up at room temperature.
- Make sure the pan is hot when you add the chicken.
- Try to avoid overcrowding the pan to prevent stewing.
- Try not to move the chicken unless it is time to turn, so the other side browns as well.
Keep the browning at the bottom of the pan because it will get picked up by the vegetable mix.
Pan you should use
A cast iron skillet is perfect for making fajitas but if you don’t have one you can use a stainless steel pan.
Accompany these chicken fajitas with:
Feel free to check the video tutorial below the directions↓
If you enjoyed the video please SUBSCRIBE to my Youtube channel and don’t forget to click the bell icon so you get a notification every time we post a brand new video. Thank you!!
*** Disclaimer: (As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases)
Chicken Fajitas RecipeCourse: EntreesCuisine: MexicanDifficulty: Easy
If you want to make an easy, yet flavorful meal, chicken fajitas is the way to go. This is such an easy 30 minute recipe with an amazing marinade and only a few steps to follow.
2 lbs chicken breast or thighs
- For the vegetables
1 orange bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1 medium white onion
- For the marinade
1/2 cup olive oil
5 small garlic cloves, grated
3 TBSP lime juice
1/2 tsp ancho chile, ground
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp cumin, ground
1 tsp black pepper, ground
1 1/2 tsp salt, kosher
- Top with
Drizzle lime juice
- Serve with
Corn or flour tortillas
- *At the end taste and add salt to taste if needed.
- Add all the marinade seasoning to a bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Prep the vegetables by cutting into about 1/2in slices and add 3 TBSP of the marinade over them. Mix it in until completely coated and set aside until needed.
- Slice each chicken breast in half lengthwise and transfer to a bowl. Pour in the reminder of the marinade over the chicken and toss until it is completely covered.
- Heat the oil in a pan or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Sear the chicken on both sides until they become golden brown and have cooked, about 6 min per side. The safe internal temperature for chicken breast needs to be at 165F degrees.
- When the chicken has cooked transfer to a plate and allow it to rest for a few minutes. Meanwhile turn the heat to medium high and sauté the vegetables until slightly softened, roughly 5 minutes.
- When the vegetables are almost done, slice the chicken and stir in with the veggies. Taste and add salt if needed.
- Lastly, drizzle the lime juice and chopped cilantro. Stir to combine one last time and serve.
- Cooking the chicken to the correct and safe internal temperature will ensure the end result is juicy.
(As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases)
🛒 Feel free to visit Villa Cocina’s Amazon storefront where you can check out most of our tools or visit our shop page.