Mexican RiceCourse: SidesCuisine: MexicanDifficulty: Easy
Everything about a Mexican rice recipe is delicious; It is very easy to make, and rich in flavor. All this attributes make it one of the main side dishes in Mexican cuisine. The fresh meaty ripe tomatoes contribute to its color; and the aromatic spices blossom into delightful distinctive flavors. Mexican rice has transcended in time while earning a special place at our dining table. It is very easy to make. This is the only Mexican rice recipe you will ever need.
1 cup rice, long grain
1/4 white onion, small
1 roma tomato
1 1/2 – 2 cups chicken stock (see substitution below in notes)
1 TBSP tomato, paste
1 garlic clove
1/2 tsp annatto, ground (achiote)
1/4 tsp turmeric, ground
1/8 tsp cumin, ground
1 serrano pepper
3 TBSP olive oil
Salt to taste
- In a blender; combine the onion, tomato, chicken stock, tomato paste, garlic, achiote, turmeric and cumin. Blend until smooth.
- Rinse and drain the rice completely.
- Heat the oil in a medium pan, over medium heat and let it get hot. Add the rice and it should sizzle. Stir continuously until golden brown and lightly toasted. Stirring will also prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan. It will take about 5-6 minutes for the rice to toast.
- Lower the heat and pour in the blended tomato mixture, stir to combine
- Add salt to taste, make sure its enough. Salt enhances and opens up the flavors. Mix to combine.
- Make a cut from the tip of the serrano pepper and stop right before you reach the stem, do not cut through it. Place the pepper in the center of the pan and cover with a lid.
- Cook the rice on low heat until all the liquid has absorbed and rice is tender. About 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. You will notice a thin film on the surface, carefully fold into the rice, do not leave it uncovered for so long.
- While still ho, cover again and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Fluff the rice and serve.
- Substitution for chicken stock
1 1/2 – 2 cups of water
1 1/2 tsp of chicken bouillon
- Traditionally water and chicken bouillon are used to season Mexican rice but I have opted to use natural spices and chicken stock, the result is unbelievable.
- It is important while toasting the rice, to stir constantly to ensure the color is evenly distributed.
- Make sure the tomato mixture is well seasoned, this is where the flavor comes from.
- If the rice needs more chicken stock to finish cooking feel free to add in small amounts but try not to stir at this point.
- Pair this authentic Mexican rice with Carne Asada and Authentic salsa
- Amazon links below 👇🏻
🌟PRODUCTS IN THIS VIDEO
(As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases)
Pyrex glass bowl set of 3 : https://amzn.to/2NyauWx
Chefs men/women half apron: https://amzn.to/3cBqQrx
Vitamix A3500 Smart blender Professional grade 64oz : https://amzn.to/2JMeSml