Chicken Quesadillas RecipeCourse: MainCuisine: MexicanDifficulty: Easy
Quesadillas are incredibly popular and so easy to make. There is nothing simple about the flavor and so much to love. This Chicken Quesadillas recipe will take your creativity to the next level. Prepare yourself to be inspired to experiment with different fillings and try new ingredients. I love to use Queso Oaxaca (type of Mexican cheese) which, certainly, happens to be an all time favorite. This recipe will provide you a step by step guidance to making delicious quesadillas with a whole lot of flavor.
1 lb chicken breast
1 1/2 cups mini sweet pepper or bell peppers
1/2 white onion, large
1 TBSP chilli powder
1/4 tsp cumin, ground
1 tsp ancho chile, ground
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
To your liking/ 1 1/2 tsp Salt
To your liking black Pepper
16-24 oz oaxaca Cheese (depends on how much cheese you like)
8-10 flour tortillas (medium size)
- Remove the seeds from the peppers. Finely dice the peppers and onion. Set to the aside.
- Cut the chicken in half lengthwise, then dice into bite size pieces. Transfer into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine the chili powder, cumin, ancho chile, garlic powder, onion powder and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Sprinkle the entire spice mix over the chicken and grind black pepper to your preference.
- Mix to ensure every single piece of chicken is completely covered in the aromatic mix of spices.
- Set a large pan over medium high heat and add the olive oil. Once hot, add the seasoned chicken.
- Sear the chicken and stir as needed. When the chicken has browned and is fully cooked transfer to a bowl.
- In the same pan, but over medium heat add about 2 TBSP of olive oil and once hot, add the onions. Sauté until translucent in color. Stir in the peppers and let them cook until lightly softened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Place the chicken back into the pan with the veggies and incorporate well. Let the chicken reheat and immediately remove from the heat.
- Shred the cheese.
- Preheat a comal/griddle over low heat.
- Spread one side of the tortilla with olive oil. Lay the tortilla on the griddle, oil side down. Add the cheese to half of the tortilla and top with the chicken. Add more cheese. Fold the empty half over the cheese to create a half moon shape.
- Allow the cheese to melt as the underside turns golden brown. (see note)
- Flip the quesadilla and let the other side brown and crisp up as well. When the cheese has fully melted on both sides they are ready.
- Continue with the rest and enjoy!
- In place of the ground ancho Chile you can use paprika or cayenne (spicy). I do suggest you try the ancho powder. It is widely used in Mexican food, it has a dark smoky flavor and is mild in heat.
- If at some point you feel the heat is too high when making the quesadillas, you can lower it. You will know because the tortilla will brown way to fast without giving the cheese enough time to melt.
- Pair these soft flour tortillas with Chicken Quesadillas and Horchata
- Amazon links:
🌟PRODUCTS IN THIS VIDEO
(As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases)