Champurrado- Low CarbJump to Recipe
If you enjoyed the video please SUBSCRIBE to my Youtube channel and don’t forget to click the bell icon so you get a notification every time we post a brand new video. Thank you!
(As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases)
Champurrado- Low CarbCourse: DrinksCuisine: MexicanDifficulty: Easy
Champurrado is a hot, creamy and thick Mexican chocolate drink. This drink is warm and cozy, perfect for this winter season or any time of the year. It is thickened with corn masa for a distinct flavor that brings comfort and joy.
3 cups water
1 ea cinnamon stick
1 ea vanilla bean
6 oz milk chocolate, sweetened with stevia
4 cups almond milk, un-sweetened
- Masa harina mixture
1/2 cup instant corn masa harina
2 cups almond milk, un-sweetened
Swerve brown sugar, to taste (3/4 cup)
- Place a large pot over medium heat. Pour in the water, add in the cinnamon stick. Cut open the vanilla bean, scrape off the seeds. Add the beans and pod into the pot. Also, add in the chocolate and let it melt. Keep an eye on it, we don’t want it to burn. Then, mix to dissolve in the water.
- When the mix reaches a low simmer, add in the 4 cups of milk and let it reach a simmer once again.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl whisk the masa harina with the 2 cups of milk. Its not going to dissolve and thats ok, but be sure to break up any lumps. Set aside until needed.
- The chocolate mix should be simmering by now. Gradually and slowly pour in the masa/milk mixture, while whisking to incorporate. Whisking will help break down the chocolate even more. Add sugar to taste and stir to dissolve. Let it reach a gentle simmer once again and cook it for 10-15 minutes or until it slightly thickens. Whisk/stir as needed or continuously.
- When ready, turn off the heat. Serve in a a mug and ENJOY! Be careful when serving the champurrado, as its consistency will preserve it really hot.
- Below 👇🏻 is the VIDEO tutorial on how to make Champurrado thats NOT low carb.
NET CARBS: 5 g *** Using Swerve sugar, Erythritol ***
8 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories64
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 2.3g 12%
- Cholesterol 1mg 1%
- Sodium 24mg 1%
- Potassium 3mg 1%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 3.1g 13%
- Sugars 23.8g
- Protein 0.8g 2%
- Calcium 1%
- Iron 4%
- Vitamin D 63%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.